[ Friday, December 02, 2011 ]
Ponemon Report on Healthcare Data Breaches
: There's a new report
from the Ponemon Institute that indicates a growing number of data breaches in the healthcare sector. The truth of the trend may be questionable -- it could be that breaches are noticed more now than they were in the past due to the high profile of HIPAA after HITECH. But regardless, there are some interesting nuggets in the data:
- Almost all entities surveyed reported some sort of data breach.
- Half of data breaches are due to lost or stolen devices.
- Half of the organizations surveyed said they don't spend enough on data security.
- More than half say their organization has made changes due to the audit threat.
- 4 of 5 entities use mobile devices for data, but half do nothing to protect those devices.
- Almost 1/3 of the breaches involved or resulted in medical identity theft.
- Employee negligence was involved in 2 out of 5 breaches.
Jeff [10:31 AM]
Blogger: HIPAA Blog - Edit your Template